Thursday, February 10, 2011

Giotàr update

As you may remember, I started playing the guitar about three months ago. I've made a lot of progress since then, I think, and I certainly have learned a lot! I've picked out the Gaelic song, "Loch Maruibhe" from Fiona J MacKenzie's cd and I can play the melody and I am working on chords and now singing with chords. I've learned a lot about music theory -- how to pick out chords of a song based on the notes, and before that, how scales are formed. I can play the melody of Joy to the World, the arpeggio of "The House of the Rising Sun" (albeit very slowly), and am starting to learn how to play "Greensleeves."

One of the problems I've been having is that my hands are rather weak. I've never really had to develop the muscles in my hands because besides typing (and washing dishes :) I don't use them beyond the normal things that anyone would do with their hands. I've started an exercise to learn how to bar -- cover all the strings with your index finger -- which is hard to do until I develop the muscles there.

So that's all for now!

(*I would like to apologize for my last post -- I hadn't realized that the Gaelic for Punks had crude language as I only listened to the first phrase. I've now deleted the post. Thank you for understanding.*)

No comments:

Post a Comment